Adult: Initially, 250 mcg as a bolus inj over 3-5 min, followed by a continuous infusion of 3.5 mcg/kg/hr until bleeding has ceased. May continue for a further 48-72 hr to prevent recurrent bleeding.
Warnings / Precautions
|Monitor blood glucose levels. May inhibit intestinal absorption thus concomitant parenteral nutrition may be recommended.
|Rapid infusion may lead to abdominal discomfort, nausea, flushing, bradycardia.
Mechanism of Actions
|Somatostatin is a polypetide obtained synthetically or from the hypothalamus. It acts by inhibiting the release of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary. It also inhibits the release of thyrotrophin and corticotropin from the pituitary, glucagon and insulin from the pancreas. It also regulates duodenal and gastric secretions. It may also play a role in pain perception.
|H01CB01 - somatostatin ; Belongs to the class of antigrowth hormone. Used in hypothalamic hormone preparations.
Somatostatin Containing Brands
Somatostatin is used in following diseases
Drug - Drug Interactions of Somatostatin
- FDA approves Ruconest for treatment of hereditary angioedema
- FDA recommend against aspirin to prevent First Heart Attacks
- FDA approves Pomalyst (pomalidomide) for advanced multiple myeloma
- FDA approves three new drug treatments for type 2 diabetes
- Long-term consequences of vaginal delivery on the pelvic floor